Keller is a horse at my current barn, and the kind of school horse everyone should have the pleasure of riding as their learn the finer points of horsemanship He is safe, but not easy. For an upper level rider, he can do the step and jump 2’6″ – 2’9″ with his special school horse version of flying changes but he can also step down for dead beginners to just jog politely around the arena. Basically, he breaks the OTTBs are crazy stereotype in almost every way.
His young leasee, Taylor, sent in this OTTB Spotlight interview about him. They had a lot of success last year in Special Beginners, our local circuit’s cross rail division, and are sure to do well in 2’0″ Beginners this year!
1. Keller’s registered name is Happy Pappy…. or Spirit Bid. There’s a bit of discrephency about Keller. He came as “Pappy” and had his name changed to Keller, but Happy Pappy is an 18 y/o TB with a crap ton of winnings and Keller’s tattoo starts with a G which means he’s a 2003 boy. Spirit Bid is the horse that matches his tattoo – who knows!
2. Lineage: You can see Spirit Bid’s lineage here if you’re curious
3. Yes, he did race. He did ok.
4. He is a hunter/jumper.
5. If Keller was a musician, he would probably be Lou Reed (sings “Walk on the Wild Side” which is Keller’s show name)
6. If Keller was on a desert horsey island, he would bring food, food, and food!
7. My OTTB is deathly afraid of barrels and cones at a jump, and dogs.
8. My OTTB is very brave about jumping (hardly refuses!)
9. If my OTTB could change anything about his environment and/or training, he would choose not to be a school horse.
10. My OTTB would introduce himself to a new herd by saying, “Hey mares, so you’re in heat huh?”
11. My OTTB makes me proud every single day because he is so curious and ambitious!
Way to go Taylor and Keller!
Want to submit your OTTB to be featured on this blog? e-mail me answers to this set of interview questions and some pictures to be featured, and maybe next time you check She Moved to Texas your horse will be featured as the OTTB Spotlight of the week!
Also, head on over to Equestrian at Hart for a chance to win some cool Rolex schwag!