I think part of it is the winter, part of it is Simon being NQR for a few weeks and a huge part of it is my whole saddle debacle plus all the dog and personal life drama… but honestly I’ve felt a bit like a deflated balloon for 2014 so far.
When I wrote these goals at the end of last year, I was on a showing high. Now I’ve had a lot of financial setbacks and some mental ones too… and I don’t even know if I care if we achieve these goals right now. I want to better my horse and my riding, but the rest… eh?
Equestrian Goals for Me
- Post the trot for five minutes without stirrups – I have made 0 progress on this because I have spent most of the past three months in a saddle that doesn’t fit me or my horse. I am very thankful to my barn-mates who have let me borrow their saddle, but most days my legs are either flopping around because I feel like I have no base of support or I suspect Simon is grumpy due to an ill fit.
- Be able to braid tails well enough for A shows – I haven’t practiced at all. :/
- Make improvements in not getting frustrated with my horse and/or riding – I have done very well with this one I do have to say! I haven’t lost my patience with Simon hardly at all this year, and we are able to get through even challenging rides while keeping our cool. Proud of this 🙂
- Compete in the local 2’6″ hunter derby and execute (well) at least one handy or high option – I skipped the March derby (1 of my 2 chances this year) because I felt we weren’t ready. This was a good decision, so we’ll see if the stars align for us to do the derby at the end of April.
- Qualify for the 2’6″ medal at the year end show – Really I want to scratch this one off the list, but I’ll leave it for posterity. Financially I am not able to show as much as I originally wanted to, which severely lessens our chances of qualifying since it is unlikely we will win one of this to get an auto pass. Also, our barn is trying some new shows this year which means some of my precious show dollars will be going to a different circuit. I’m okay with that, just lessens our chances of qualifying.
Goals for Simon
- Open up his stride and stop doing the ads – This is going much better. We don’t always get the stride at home, but we get it more times than not right now. Hopefully when he’s at a show jumping jumps with a lot more fill this will be easier for him.
- Reliably get leads over the fence – This is kind of a fail. He usually lands right, but it’s not consistent. An added bonus though is the lead changes are getting better… so maybe we’ll meet in the middle somewhere this year.
- Reduce his anxiety with flatwork – Not perfect, but better. I have my trainer to thank for that.
- Make it through a flat class with no explosions – We had a decent flat class in February, but we still broke up to the canter and got the wrong canter lead once… so not sure it fully counts.
- Stay sound – Mixed results? But we are doing better post hock injections.
- End 2014 with 0 credit card debt – I was doing well with this until dog-vet-bill-apocalypse 2014. I still think this will happen in 2014, but I was hoping to get this knocked out 1st quarter and maintain for the rest of the year. In reality, it’s just going to take longer.
- Lose 20 lbs – Started off strong and then slipped back. Story of my life.
- Find more balance with riding and “real” life – This is an ongoing struggle for me. I’ve been riding a lot less, but am still scheduling my personal life around riding so I need to be better about that.
- Be more enthusiastic about my real job – Some personal not-blogging-about stuff happening which is making this hard. To be continued.
- Train Pascale as well as I trained Eliot – Well Eliot has been biting dogs in the face lately, so maybe I shouldn’t be doing this? Actually we have made progress since we’ve been doing a lot of training sessions with the dogs to handle Eliot’s aggression. Pascale knows sit, down, touch, and “go to your crate”. Stay is special.
- Take more pictures – So far a huge success! I’ve taken a lot at shows and at the barn. I don’t really care if they’re all horse pictures, because that’s my favorite thing to shoot anyway 🙂
Now that I actually list everything out, I do feel like we’re making more progress than none. I still feel like a deflated balloon though.