1. Whats your horses name and how did they come by it? Simon’s registered name is Williebered. I am told he was named after a relative. His original barn name was also Willy, although I didn’t find this out until years after I knew him as Simon. His show name is “Something So Right” which is a Paul Simon song that I liked the lyrics to.
2. What are your favorite breeches? Tailored Sportsmans, although I school in a hodgepodge of brands because I can only afford one show pair right now.
3. Tall boots or paddock boots and half chaps? I strongly prefer paddock boots and half chaps. I ride in my tall boots for lessons and the week before shows so it doesn’t seem strange to me when I have to show in them… but totally prefer half chaps.
4. What brand of tall boots do you have (if you wear them)? If you had an unlimited budget what would you get? I have Mountain Horse Richmond tall boots. I like them, but I don’t love them. If I had unlimited budget I’d get custom boots but not sure which brand.
5. Favorite Helmet IRH Elite.
6. Shows or no shows? Shows forever. I’m addicted.
7. Jumping or flat work? I used to prefer flat work, but lately I prefer jumping. I only jump in lessons though, and since our flat work is weak we have been doing some quality bonding time with trot circles.
8. Hunters, Jumpers, Cross Country or Derby’s? Derbies then hunters then jumpers… but really handy and equitation courses are my FAVORITE!
9. What other disciplines have you ridden? I started off fox hunting. I rode western for fun. I showed AQHA style “Open” shows and rail classes for the longest time.
10. Dressed to the nines or whatever you can find when riding? Usually somewhere in the middle. When I lose weight I’d like to be more “dressed to the nines” but I always ride in breeches and usually a polo shirt, but not always tucked in. No fancy brands for schooling, just clean.
11. Where do you shop the most for you? Your horse? SmartPak although they’ve been disappointing me lately and Dover is rising to the top… especially since they’re opening a new Dover store within 5 minutes from my office!
12. When was the last time you rode and what did you do? Last time I rode was a few days ago, and I schooled trot circles and 10 strides walking/10 strides trotting transitions.
13. What tack do you use every ride/day?
KL Select Red Barn hunter bridle with D ring. If jumping, I use a Beval standing martingale. Square pad + Mattes half pad and my saddle, a (falling apart) Dominus. I also use a faux fleece canvas girth for schooling.
14. What are your horses color(s)? “Our” colors are navy, burgundy and silver since that’s what my barn in NC was and my tack trunk is, but I’m adopting the barn colors of Grey and Burgundy and am slowly switching stuff over.
15. How often do you clean your tack? Wipe down a few times a week and a full cleaning before a show.
16. What kind of bit do you use? I use a Myler comfort D snaffle but am in the market for a new bit.
17. Mares or Geldings? Geldings!
18. What is something you want to improve on in your riding? I want to get a stronger lower leg, improve my no stirrup work, feel more comfortable moving at a faster pace and get used to jumping larger jumps.
19. Favorite horse-themed quote?
She was iron-sinewed and satin-skinned,
Ribbed like a drum and limbed like a deer,
Fierce as the fire and fleet as the wind,
There was nothing she couldn’t climb or clear.
— A. L. Gordon, The Romance of Britomarte
20.What was your most recent equestrian purchase? Liniment! I am forever buying liniment.