A while ago, I stumbled across a blog about What’s in your purse? on a site I enjoy reading. It’s a cute post, but my first thought then was – there’s no way a normal person’s purse looks like that.
You can’t tip my purse over, for fear something might spill out. I even found a spray bottle of body spray in the far corner of my desk, because it fell out of my purse. The purse is such a disaster area that I’m keeping the body spray under my desk at work, because I fear it is going to be safer there.
So I did some research – surely other people had messy purses like mine? A quick google search brought up another cutesy blog with another perfect purse. More googling, and I come to find that there’s an entire tumblr blog devoted to “What’s in your purse?” Of course, and you might have guessed this – they’re all perfect.
Maybe it’s not that everyone has perfect purses, but only people with perfect purses choose to photograph and blog about it. Or maybe -gasp- the integrity of the purse blog is ruined by the purse owner cleaning out their bag before organizing and photographing the contents. Not I says the blonde Texan, I bring you exhibit A.
This is my current purse – current being the last 6 months… I don’t exactly swap them out to match my outfit. I think this purse says “Hey I’m a somewhat preppy equestrian” and it also says “I’m big and made of wicker so I will hide lots of shit.” And hide lots of shit it does – Exhibit B.
While I did throw away some lint and half of a Smartee’s wrapper, this is pretty much the entire contents of my purse as of Monday evening. Prepare to be amazed or horrified.
- Cute horse coin purse that I rescued from the Goodwill pile and recently hoard change so I can buy diet coke and snack crackers from the work vending machine
- Receipt for Firestone and link to fill out a survey for $10 off my next oil change… this was about 5,000 miles ago… I hope the survey link still works – I’m due for an oil change and would like a $10 off coupon
- iPhone outlet to USB charger
- Really nice fancy horse wallet that my Mom got me from some smancy purse place in Boston
- 2011 W2 Tax form from my current work place – You know, filed for safe keeping here
- Tape Measure
- Hand lotion
- Pamphlet from Wicked show in Austin that we went to last week
- Lip glosses that I usually forget are there and do not use as much as I should
- University of Texas themed mint (you know, like you have just around…)
- Toothpicks from Las Vegas casinos that we visited… in case I find a rogue martini in need of something to keep that olive in check
- Broken Kindle reading light
- Used band-aid (grooooosss… I lose)
- Various receipts and grocery list
- Groupon for a restaurant that went out of business and I’m holding onto it in hopes restaurant will magically re-open
- Bracelet I found in my car that my friend Erin left here while she was visiting (Sorry Erin, keeping this safe with my W2 form)
- Bucky Balls because they are awesome and really fun to play with
So there you have it. Now is my purse alone on an island of messy, or do you have something that looks more like what I photographed and less like the perfect purses?