Last week, I expressed my budgeting failures to y’all. No dramatic updates there… I didn’t become Dave Ramsey overnight but I’m working on it. I do however, want to tell you something I’m really good at.
I am really good at not spending money on “extras” for my equestrian life.
Of course, that depends on your definition of extra. Showing? Of course. Chiropractor? Of course. Multiple show shirts? Yes! But I do have my limits damnit, and I’d like to walk you through my success.
Enter exhibit A – a tantilizing thing I don’t need. For now, let’s call it a beautiful scrim sheet that’s on sale for only $40! It’s pretty! It’s on sale! It’s only $40! How could this go wrong? It’s obviously so right… but here’s what I do.
- Do I already own this item or something like it? Well, I have a cooler and a cotton irish knit but not a scrim sheet. BUY NOW.
- In the past have I said to myself, “Self – I really need to buy a scrim sheet” before I saw it on sale? Well, I have said in the past that scrim sheets are pretty.. therefore BUY NOW.
- Will this item turn my horse into a magical auto lead change unicorn? No… Purchase denied.
See? It’s fool proof! It also works for clothing, which a the moment is an Ariat sun shirt that I simply must have.
- Do I already own this item or something like it? Well, I have one sun shirt but it’s not an Ariat one so BUY NOW.
- Is this item something I need for showing? Well, you can show in sun shirts in the jumpers and I’m a part-time jumper so BUY NOW.
- Will this item turn me into Beezie Madden? No… Purchase denied.
See folks… being cheap is easy! 😉