So this post is like… seven months late. When 2013 began I said to myself, “Self – you are not very good at year long goals. Let’s do mini goals for each month instead,” and myself said “Absolutely!”
And then my horse broke himself.
For four months.
And I got a little depressed and sad and forgot all about the January goals, and the February ones… and the March ones… and, well you see where this is going.
When he was sound again, I was afraid to set new goals for fear it would break him. But he’s not broken again (knock on wood), and I’m just kind of floundering around with no goals except to
beat little children win a ribbon or two when we show. Time to fix that!
- Get a clean change while doing a course at home or at a show
- Do the horse strides for an entire course while in control
- Trot/Canter 5 minutes straight with no stirrups
- Lose 15 lbs
- Learn to braid tails
- Complete an under saddle class without losing our cool
- Go to a horse show without duck taping my boots
- Show confidently at 2’3″ in the November year end show
All attainable, but not easy. I kind of want to add ‘win a blue ribbon’ but am afraid of that not being realistic this year and being disappointed when it doesn’t happen. Maybe that will be the unofficial goal 🙂
Do you set goals at the beginning of the year or slack like me?